Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0.3 Now Available

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 20:42:18 -0500

On 12/27/2010 05:56, Leon Ward wrote:
Hi,

On 26 December 2010 22:21, waldo kitty<wkitty42 () windstream net>  wrote:

<snip>

it requires IPv6 which is
definitely not widespread or in use in many locations...

Please don't take this the wrong way,

i'm not taking it the wrong way... trust me ;)

but as long as we all keep
telling ourselves that V6 isn't in wide use we're en-route to bigger
problems that we have now.

i tend to agree...

There is a load of v6 traffic in most v4-only networks I work on, it's
just common for it to be dismissed by network people as "background
noise".

this is likely due to those networks having clients in one of two configurations...

1. default OS settings which have IPv6 turned on even when it is not necessary
(windows is bad for this and known to have this setting one by default)

2. machines are specifically configured for IPv6 tunneling to an IPv6 broker

networks that do not know what their machines are doing are not secure no matter
how hard they try and how secure they may think they are ;)