Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0.3 Now Available

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 17:21:01 -0500

On 12/26/2010 15:45, vincent () cojot name wrote:

Hi Azher,

No, these rpms aren't built with --enable-ipv6 since the default spec file
available from the downloads on snort.org doesn't enable it either (I
tried to remain as close as possible). If there are no side-effects (for
people using ipv4 only, etc...) and if everyone agrees, it would be easy
for me to produce a new build with ipv6 enabled. I hope someone
knowledgeable will be able to provide guidance here since I have no idea
if enabling ipv6 in all snort builds would cause any side-effects. I don't
want to break builds for people with an ipv4-only setup or cause
slowdowns because I enabled a feature.

i tend to agree fully... but i also have to wonder why, if ipvar is necessary,
that it is not enabled for IPv4 only setups and that it requires IPv6 which is
definitely not widespread or in use in many locations...