Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0.2 / barnyard2 / base 1.4.5 signature not displayed and is unclassifiede

From: "Jefferson, Shawn" <Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:50:12 -0700

Hi, (answers in-line)

1.) Do I have to install Snort via "sudo apt-get install snort-mysql" in order to make BASE work?

No, you don't and it isn't recommended.  You should run Snort with Unified2 output, and use Barnyard2 to parse those
and insert into your MySQL database.  From the output you have shown below, it looks like you had/have an error in your
barnyard2 config.

2.) Do I get the newest verstion (e.g. 2.9.0.3, etc) of Snort via  "sudo apt-get install snort-mysql" ?

I would compile and install from source... I do that personally.  You don't need to compile in MySQL support in that
case.  This the way I compile:

./configure --enable-perfprofiling --enable-targetbased --enable-reload --enable-zlib
--enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules
Make
Make install

Hope that makes sense.