Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire VRT Certified Snort Rules Update 2010-09-27

From: L0rd Ch0de1m0rt <l0rdch0de1m0rt () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:11:12 -0500

Yeah, nice try, trying to shift the blame of a poorly written rule to
the MS vulnerability.  Personally, I like to think of the VRT
subscription ruleset as SourceFire's community QA testbed.  You run it
for 30 days and then they "open source" it (the words "open source"
are in quotes b/c it is not all open source) after fixing mistakes.
That is why I stopped subscribing to it.

Right now I'm seriously looking in to the newly announced Emerging
Threats Pro ruleset (http://www.emergingthreatspro.com/).  Not only is
it fully open source, it is QA'd and you can get 24/7 phone and email
support.

-L0rd Ch0de1m0rt