Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sizing of a box requiring 2x10Gbps

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 20:49:03 +0000

Well, not really. Just use generic servers quadcore quadprocessor servers and a napatech stream capable card (which is overkill for 4Gbit). Recombining all the alerting from multiple instances of Snort is the only pain you really run into. You can just set the output logging to unified2 and 1mb in size and have another process monitor the output directory and process it with barnyard2 file by file into a database then point your front end tools towards that.

Card:
http://www.napatech.com/products/network_adapters.html (He will want the 2x10G PCIe one).

Definitely requires some care, feeding and development this route. A commercial offering should be much more plug and play.

-- Eoin