Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sizing of a box requiring 2x10Gbps

From: Paul Halliday <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:51:19 -0300

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Sven Juergensen (KielNET)
<s.juergensen () kielnet de> wrote:

Hi list,

I'm playing with the thought of implementing an
IDS for our network. Now, for the box handling
this, a bit of advice would be appreciated. It
needs 2 10GE interfaces and would have to soak
up a throughput of about 4GBps tops. The amount
of accumulated data should last about a week.

A single box and a 4GB link? How sustained is the 4GB? What is the
median and nature of the link? What kind of info are you interested
in?.  All? mostly x? mostly y?..

Do you have access to break it up a bit; i.e. is this an aggregation
point? I don't know what your source is but you might be able to (at a
lower level) break this into filtered streams and use crap hardware to
process it using a distributed setup.

More info would be a good start :)

Is this your first setup?