Snort mailing list archives

Re: MP3's are evil... Searching for traffic based upon uploaded file type...

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 11:54:18 -0400

What false positives were you catching?  Maybe we can help you whittle those down.

Joel

On Aug 5, 2010, at 11:16 AM, Isherwood, Jeffrey - IS wrote:

Trying to fine tune some rules and remove false positives…  I was originally using the rule below to try and detect
possible policy violations of anyone uploading MP3s from the internal network to the internet:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"Policy: Forbidden File Transfer from Internal to External";
flow:established,to_server; content:".mp3"; nocase; priority:3; classtype:misc-activity; sid:1000005; gid:1; rev:4; )

It was catching false positives and so I’m trying this one, but something seems to be lacking…

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"Policy: Forbidden File Transfer from Internal to External";
flow:established,to_server; pcre:"/\w+\.mp3($|\W|\")/i"; priority:3; classtype:misc-activity; sid:1000005; gid:1;
rev:7; )