Snort mailing list archives

Rule efficiency

From: "Isherwood, Jeffrey - IS" <Jeffrey.Isherwood () itt com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:38:53 -0400

I'm on the lookout for some traffic to several domains that I have been asked to monitor... and I'm wondering which is
more efficient, several rules that each only look for a domain name - or one rule that looks for many domain names at
once?

Currently I'm doing the one at a time method, but the list of domains I need to monitor just quadrupled and I am unsure
which would be more efficient...

Examples:
alert tcp any any -> any any (content:"baddomain.com"; nocase; priority:1; msg:"suspicious domain traffic alert
baddomain.com "; classtype:string-detect; sid:1000422; gid:1; rev:1; )

alert tcp any any -> any any (content:"crappydomain.com"; nocase; priority:1; msg:"suspicious domain traffic alert
crappydomain.com"; classtype:string-detect; sid:1000340; gid:1; rev:1; )

alert tcp any any -> any any (content:" shoulndtubworking.com "; nocase; priority:1; msg:"suspicious domain traffic
alert shoulndtubworking.com"; classtype:string-detect; sid:1000420; gid:1; rev:1; )

alert tcp any any -> any any (content:"wasteoftime.net"; nocase; priority:1; msg:"suspicious domain traffic alert
wasteoftime.net"; classtype:string-detect; sid:1000409; gid:1; rev:1; )