Snort mailing list archives

hardware doubt

From: Pedro Marinho <pppmarinho () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:46:28 -0300

Hello gentlemen,

I donĀ“t know much about hardware but i want to ask if it is possible to use
VHDL and a development kit like this
http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/EK-V6-CONN-G.htm
to implement some of the snort logic and make things go super faster. I was
wondering if it is possible to improve performance by implementing in
hardware. My question is if you use a FPGA fisically connected at a network
card could be the answer or another approuch to solve performance issues in
IDS technology this days instead of multithread or GPU usage?

ps: sorry if it is a stupid idea newbie here..

=>