Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.8.6.1 Now Available

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:00:22 -0400

On 07/23/2010 08:53 AM, Nigel Houghton wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 01:03:47 -0400, Randal T. Rioux wrote:
On 07/23/2010 12:04 AM, Nigel Houghton wrote:
Pulled Pork.

On Thursday, July 22, 2010, waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net> wrote:
On 7/22/2010 15:53, Snort Releases wrote:
  The download link should be http://www.snort.org/snort-downloads.

can we please have a direct download link for those of us who use wget and
maintain automatically updating build environments? these c4rp things with
"download/somenumber" and similar really break automation in a bad
way :? :( :( :(

Please don't top-post. Please don't be rude. Please listen to people and
respond only if you can help.

Thanks,
Randy

My bad, operation of mail client while way too tired to do so. Meant to
hit "save" and got "send" instead.

Was going to say, depending on how many machines you have and what your
setup is, you could use a kind of "master" repository for the storing
of source code tar balls. (I'm assuming there's way more than just
Snort you have to grab right?) That way you limit the breakage to one
box. Then you can be sure you have a constant link for your production
boxes to get what they need. (kind of how you do it with FreeBSD and
ports)

That's what I do, but like Waldo said, it's nice to have a direct link.

Now your problem transfers to that master storage place. My suggestion
would be to use Perl; WWW::Mechanize does a pretty good job these days.
Perhaps modify Pulled Pork to get what you need all in one application
(or make a feature request).

We shouldn't have to write algorithms to download a tarball. A simple
redirect would do.

Also, for the record, if you see me top-post then I am most likely not
paying attention.

I figured you were borrowing Joel's iPadPhone :-)

Also, nice if you cut the Sourceforge mailing list cruft from the
bottom of replies. Not totally required, but keeps threads a little
more readable.

Umm, I did, and always have.

Randy