Snort mailing list archives

Re: max bpf filter size?

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 21:34:53 -0400

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz> wrote:
 Hi there

Simple question: I have a large-and-growing BPF filter, and am getting
nervous I'm going to hit some maximum size at some time. I'm already
doing it by putting the filter into a file (ie it's not shell-bound),
but I'm guessing there's some limit? Also, I'm doing this with both
snort and daemonlogger, so don't know if there are application-specific
limits that are different from pcap library limits?

Hi Jason,

Daemonlogger will read up to the filesize returned by stat(2) when
you're loading from a file.  When reading from the shell you're only
limited by the max shell command size and libpcap.

It looks like Snort works the same way just perusing Snort 2.8.6.  I'm
not sure what libpcap's limit on filter size is but I imagine it's
quite large (megabytes?).

Marty