Snort mailing list archives

Re: Suricata 0.9.2 RC3 Released

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 23:24:40 -0400

On 06/18/2010 03:34 PM, Matt Jonkman wrote:
On 6/18/10 2:25 PM, Randal T. Rioux wrote:
As much as I enjoy the (unnecessary and redundant (pardon the political
jab)) Dept. of Homeland Security money hemorrhaging machine reinventing
the wheel, I question whether advertising on the Snort owned lists is
appropriate. I don't believe I've seen Sourcefire sending out their
announcements on the ET/OISF or on other competing product venues.

Hey Randal. We're not competing. We announce here because we were asked
to, and because we have a reciprocal agreement with SF, they announce on
our lists.

Randal, one L. Fixed it ;-)

"Competing" was the wrong word. In fact, I can't even think of the right
word. Consider that moot.

I wasn't aware you had a reciprocal agreement with SF.

It's just a release announcement for a complimentary tool. Not
advertisement. It's all free software!

Word.

Matt, much love to you - ET rocks and I'm sure Suricata will turn out to
be very cool stuff. Just try not to irritate those that paved the way
and those who may not be interested. Unfortunately, mailing lists don't
offer an "opt-out" option for advertisements. Which is why most mailing
lists ban advertisements :-)

I love you too man!  :)

But again, it's not advertising. And it's far less than once a month.
Every other tool in the ids field puts release announcements up without
issue. Why do you see us as different? It's gpl. It's IDS. It's snort
syntax. :)

No, myself and others with similar ornery dispositions have given crap
to others in the past as well. Don't feel targeted!

Randy