Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-devel] Suricata 0.9.2 RC3 Released

From: Matt Jonkman <jonkman () jonkmans com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:53:07 -0400

Hi Chris, I understand your point of view. But we're not competing, this
isn't a product we're putting out to sell.

The intent with Suricata is to advance the art, and the snort/emerging
threats community is the center of the state of this art.

We have welcomed SF to do their announcements on the ET and OISF lists,
which they do. It's by mutual friendly arrangement. This isn't a
competitive arrangement.

As for responding to problems with "We can do that better," I think
that'd be extremely annoying. Because Suricata is a brand new codebase,
is multithreaded, and is bringing in a laundry list of new features, we
could reply to most problem reports with "suricata does that" or
"suricata fixed that bug already". I think that'd piss everyone off. :)

Again, I understand your initial reaction. It's an unusual situation
here, but we're not a single minded or single project community here. We
have front ends, backends, rule managers, the whole gambit that exist
and are discussed here. This is a security community, not a single
project only community.

Matt