Snort mailing list archives

Re: VRT SO Rule SID: 10127 Causing Segfault on Snort 2.8.5-3

From: Patrick Mullen <pmullen () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:57:01 -0400

What I've discovered is that after the upgrade, including this shared
object rule causes snort to quietly exit with a segmentation fault
after just a few seconds:

My first guess is that the shared object Makefile was not updated to
reference the correct version of snort.  What can happen in this
situation is things will build just fine but because things in the
SFSnortPacket structure may have moved around, pointers may be located
at new places and create a situation where a check for a NULL pointer
passes but then the dereferencing of that value ends up out of range
and causes the segfault.

Please confirm that at the top of the Makefile you have
SNORT_VERSION=2.8.5.3 and let me know if you still have problems.

Thanks!

~Patrick