Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort + Barnyard + alert file

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 09:33:51 +1200

On 8/05/2010, at 2:24 PM, Vipul M Sawant wrote:

Hi Fábio

You can specify unified output option in /etc/snort/snort.conf to create unified files. for example -

output alert_unified: filename snort.alert, limit 128
output log_unified: filename snort.log, limit 128

add these lines to snort.conf start barnyard with options -l /var/log/snort and -f snort.alert

Also be aware that the -A command line flag affects this too.  I recently changed fron unfied to unified2 and spent a
couple of day tearing my hair out getting it working.  The problem was a '-A none' on the command line which was
necessary with unified but broke the unified2 stopping it from generating alerts.

Russell