Snort mailing list archives

Re: Best way to deploy snort

From: Glenn English <ghe () slsware com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:02:49 -0600

On Apr 5, 2010, at 7:51 PM, Kum Weng Luey wrote:

One last question: Would snort be better off being placed in the DMZ to sniff incoming traffic or within the internal
LAN between the router and the firewall.

I'm in the midst of building a Linux WAN/DMZ/LAN packet-filter/IDP/router box. I'm currently planning to run Snort on
it in inline mode, with feedback (from some rules) to the packet-filter.

Inline, on the grounds that I really don't care that much if there are attacks on the net, if they aren't getting
through the packet-filter (and to save a few CPU cycles).

--
Glenn English
ghe () slsware com