Snort mailing list archives

Re: Alternative to BASE

From: Bamm Visscher <bamm.visscher () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:09:52 -0400

Ouch. Okay, I'll bite.

Most of the scaling problems I have seen have more to do with
insufficient hardware (trying to do full packet capture of a 100Mbps
link on a 80GB IDE disk or put a couple million rows per day of SANCP
data into a vastly undersized mysql DB), poor architecture decisions
(where you put sensors is important), or a misunderstanding of what
analysis using Sguil means.

If anyone is having problems with scaling, please let me know.  I have
over 100 sensors deployed on various links from 10Mbps to 1Gbps. All
reporting to a (single) central Sguil server and MySQL DB. Yeah, there
were some hurdles to overcome and hopefully I can get those lessons
learned into the CVS soon.

Bamm