Snort mailing list archives

Re: recent vrt updates disable many rules (web-iis, web-cgi, web-misc etc)

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 07:47:54 -0400

It is my suggestion that you used pulledpork. It gives you the ability to use the default policy setups in the metadata.

--
Joel Esler
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 26, 2010, at 2:17 AM, monitz <mmonitz () gmail com> wrote:

i feel that these kind of changes should be listed as "disabled" and not as "modified" in update publishing

thanks for the response alex

doe's anyone know how to address the issue on oinkmaster?

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Alex Kirk <akirk () sourcefire com> wrote: The VRT has been conducting reviews of the default policies of late - both those included in the metadata fields and the implied policies of commented out vs. not commented out. There are a number of rules that, in their time, were very useful, but are no longer, due to their age - many of these rules, for example, were for vulnerabilities 5 or more years old. Given that running a tighter, more focused ruleset is likely to produce more useful alerts, and given that a number of users simply accept the VRT defaults without much further thought, we decided it was best to turn off some of our older rules, where the probability of a successful attack has become exceedingly low.

Anyone who wants these rules, of course, is free to turn them right back on. That's the beauty of running your own IDS - you need not accept the VRT's judgments as your own if you don't want to.