Snort mailing list archives

Re: Are the rules not being read?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 07:49:19 -0400

Are you trying to generate the traffic on the same machine you are sniffing on?

--
Joel Esler
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 26, 2010, at 3:18 AM, Eric Zheng <zhengeric () hotmail com> wrote:

I have set up snort successfully and I can get it to read pings to websites and scan packets. However, I am testing out the chat rules which should trigger an alert whenever I sign onto MSN or Yahoo but it does not seem to do anything whenever I sign in and talk to people. I have it enabled in snort.conf (took away the # sign) and see that chat.rules is in the rules directory. Anyone know any possible causes of this? Thank you.

PS: I'm also getting a lot of 1384 "malformed advertisement" alerts which I believe to be false positives. Any way to correct this? Thanks.

The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. Get busy. --- --- --- ---------------------------------------------------------------------