Snort mailing list archives

Re: Unable to configure unified2 output

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:23:47 -0400

On 03/30/2010 06:19 PM, Mike Lococo wrote:
Greetings,

I recently attempted to migrate to merged alert/log unified2 output
using the following config:

    output unified2: filename snort-unified2.log, limit 128

When running this config I get snort.log.[epochtime] files instead of
the snort-unified2.log.[epochtime] files that I expect.  The snort.log
files are tcpdump formatted... not unified2.  It's not clear to my why
this config doesn't work, it should be valid according to the manual and
to many mailing-list examples.

If I make a trivial change to the config above...

    output log_unified2: filename snort-unified2.log, limit 128

... the tcpdump-formatted files are no longer created, and I do see
snort-unified2.log.[epochtime] files as expected.  However, I'd like to
have a "merged" unified2 log with both alert and log information in it
as is specified in the previous "broken" config.

If I run snort with no output-line configured at all, I get the same
tcpdump-formatted snort.log files as I get with my broken unified2
config, which makes me think that there is something causing my config
line to be ignored and I'm falling through to a default.

My initial configuration used the original unified "log" output and
behaves as expected:

    output log_unified: filename snort0.log, limit 128

This created the expected snort0.log.[epochtime] files in
/var/log/snort, and has worked well for quite some time.  I can switch
back to this config now and it still works as expected, so I feel fairly
confident in the rest of my snort config/infrastructure.

Additional possibly relevant info:
* I'm running the latest stable snort (2.8.5.3 - Build 124).
* When running snort from the command line, I don't see any useful
output printed to the screen in any of my test cases.  The only relevant
line appears to be "Initializing Output Plugins!", which never changes
or echoes the output configuration that is being initialized.
* A similar problem was reported in the forum in November with no
response:
https://forums.snort.org/forums/snort-newbies/topics/problems-enabling-unified2-logging

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be going wrong, or
additional troubleshooting steps to take?  Since there's no error or
problem indicator (other than failure to produce the desired logs) I'm
not sure what to check next.

Thanks,
Mike Lococo

Mike,

Can you post the command line you are using and your snort.conf so we
can take a look?

Thanks,
Todd