Snort mailing list archives

Re: port mirror with linux

From: phillip bailey <pbailey () cryptolife org>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:23:22 +0100

Hi,

there's any  performances issues regarding  Daemonlogger in a crowded network ?

Best regards,
phillip

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Richard Bejtlich
<taosecurity () gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:02 PM, surman . <surmano.fumano () gmail com> wrote:
Hi !

I have a question.

I have a linux box with 4 ethernet devices. This machine acts as router/
proxy / antivirus. I only use 3 ethernet devices, so I have 1 free port.

I want to attach a snort box to this port.

How can I configure a "port span/mirror" on the linux box? The snort box
(192.168.3.100) needs to "see" all traffic passing through all router
ethernet devices.

Hello,

Seeing all interfaces at the same time isn't the greatest idea.
However, if you really want to do that, you could try running one or
more instances of Daemonlogger against the interface of interest and
redirect the traffic to another interface where your Snort system is
connected and listening.

Sincerely,

Richard