Snort mailing list archives

Re: This has real potential

From: Edward Bjarte Fjellskål <edward.fjellskal () redpill-linpro com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:19:09 +0100

Very interesting Alex :)

We aim to do the same with PRADS, only passively.
There is a perl script in early alpha that a sharp friend and
co-worker wrote some weeks back, that takes the sqlite3 db from
prads (prads.db) and turns it in to host_attribute table format.
(http://github.com/gamelinux/prads/blob/master/perl/sbin/snortifyprads.pl)

I'll check out our own alpha and read up om hogger and Joel Esler's
resent post on the week to come, and test things out.

Our aim is to have PRADS run aside with snort, collection valuable
information to feed to snort (and suricate in the future).

Read more about prads here:
http://prads.projects.linpro.no/

Code is hosted on github:
http://gamelinux.github.com/prads/

PRADS is still under development, and this is a bit premature
post for the masses, but hey! If your not a geek, wait until
we post a release :)

PRADS - Passive Real-time Asset Detection System
 - Know your assets!

Alex Tatistcheff wrote:
There's a new Perl script on the block and it has HUGE potential to help
Snort admins tune their installations.  You're probably aware of the
host attribute table feature where you create an .XML file describing
the hosts on your network, then feed that into Snort.  The key phrase
here is "you create".  In the past this was a very labor intensive
process and could prove daunting if you have a large or fairly dynamic
network.  Just recently Parker Crook (one sharp individual) has written
a script to create this host attribute .XML file from output obtained
from the nmap scanner.  The script is new and could use some testing
from the community.  However, the concept is sound and the value of
automatically creating this file is significant.  It's mentioned in a
blog at

http://global-security.blogspot.com/2010/02/hogging-snort-host-attribute-table.html

The project, which is called Hogger (what a cool name) is available on
Google Code at http://code.google.com/p/hogger

Alex Tatistcheff
alext () pobox com <mailto:alext () pobox com>