Snort mailing list archives

Re: VRT Release 2010-02-23 uses "detection_filter"

From: Nigel Houghton <nhoughton () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:58:42 -0500

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:41 AM, evilghost () packetmail net
<evilghost () packetmail net> wrote:
Thanks Matt, honestly these *specific* changes announced in advance
would be helpful.  Things move slowly in the enterprise and often times
justification is needed outside of "this is the latest version" to
proceed with changes in a production IDS environment.  "Please be
advised that on 02/23/2010 the VRT signatures now use detection_filter,
users should plan an upgrade to 2.8.5" would be helpful if announced
prior to the actual implementation of these changes and before I started
assassinating my Snort processes.  I would imagine 14 days would be
reasonable, or even 7 days, but at least allocate some time to permit an
upgrade and warn your user-base of the impending destruction for
"legacy" users.

Thank you for your consideration.

-evilghost

Matt Olney wrote:
You know, it probably isn't unreasonable for us to call out changes
like that.  Going forward we'll see what we can do.  That being said,
we have called out that those who don't stay up with the latest Snort
may have issues:

Note: Snort rule packages for Subscribers and Registered Users track
the latest patch release for any major version. This means that rule
packages may make use of features that only exist in the latest
version of Snort. A simple example is: If 2.8.4 is the current version
of Snort then the snortrules-snapshot-2.8 packages might use features
not available in 2.8.3.2 and earlier.
(http://www.snort.org/snort-rules)

Matt

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:26 AM, evilghost () packetmail net