Snort mailing list archives

Re: New to Snort; Unable to download VRT Certified Rules

From: Nick Moore <nmoore () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:13:19 -0600

LTG,

There are two sets of rules on snort.org: VRT Subscription and registered
user. The subscription rules are for charge and are up to date; the
registered user rules are delayed by 30 days, but are free. The registered
rules still require a user name and password, so you'll have to log on to
get them. Using these rules should be fine for a proof of concept.

The difference between the files are pretty straightforward: if there is a
trailing _s before the .tar.gz, those are the subscription rules, e.g.
snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT_s.tar.gz<http://dl.snort.org/sub-rules/snortrules-snapshot-CURRENT_s.tar.gz>
.

Once you have a username and login, you can download rules automatically
with Oinkmaster. Please see http://oinkmaster.sourceforge.net/ for more info
on this.

Happy snorting!

-
Nick Moore, SFCE, CISSP, CISA
Sr. Systems Engineer
Voice 708-336-9041
Email nick.moore () sourcefire com
IM    nickgmoore (Yahoo)
      nickgmoore38 (AIM)

   ,,_
  o"  )~   Sourcefire - The Creators of Snort
   ''''

www.sourcefire.com         www.snort.org