Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMTP rule "Access Denied for Mail Relay"

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:25:08 -0500

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:37:08PM -0500, volga629 () skillsearch ca wrote:
   Hello,

   I added this alert to new smtp.rule

   alert tcp $SMTP_SERVERS 25 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any
   (msg:"Possible mail relay usage"; content:"Relaying denied";
   flags:A+; classtype:trojan-activity; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

   When I tested snort in verbose snort -v i see smtp traffic going through,
   but no denied by snort.

   I wonder what else need add to snort ? Mail server is deny mail relay
   anyway, but i want the snort will do this job instead.

If I understand your request properly, you are trying to get Snort to deny traffic?  As in, using Snort in an IPS
(inline) capacity?

Or are you simply trying to get Snort to alert on the traffic that your email server is sending?

Sorry for the confusion.

--
Joel Esler | 302-223-5974 | gtalk: jesler () sourcefire com