Snort mailing list archives

SMTP rule "Access Denied for Mail Relay"

From: volga629 () skillsearch ca
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:37:08 -0500

Hello,

I added this alert to new smtp.rule

alert tcp $SMTP_SERVERS 25 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any
(msg:"Possible mail relay usage"; content:"Relaying denied";
flags:A+; classtype:trojan-activity; sid:1000001; rev:1;)

When I tested snort in verbose snort -v i see smtp traffic going through, but no denied by snort.

I wonder what else need add to snort ? Mail server is deny mail relay anyway, but i want the snort will do this job
instead.

Thank you in advance.

--
believed to be clean.