Snort mailing list archives

Re: how can we alert on web visiting activity?

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:42:15 -0500

This has bit us in the rear as well. Adding the following lines to your
snort.conf file will also act the same as using the "-k" option. Here is
a section of our snort.conf related to this:

---snip---
#
# Dont drop stuff because of the checksum (snort -k)
#
config checksum_mode: none
---snip---

I am sure there is a great reason to allow packets to be ignored due to
bad checksums, but having this be default behavior can cause some issues
for users. I guess in theory the network devices/clients/servers should
be disregarding the packets due to the bad checksums?

-- Eoin

mary andrews wrote:
got it, thats what it was, it worked!!!!!

Many, MANY THANKS!

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:56 PM, evilghost () packetmail net
<mailto:evilghost () packetmail net> <evilghost () packetmail net
<mailto:evilghost () packetmail net>> wrote:

    You may want to peek at the manual again.  You turned off logging, not
    checksum checking.

    -k <mode>   Checksum mode (all,noip,notcp,noudp,noicmp,none)
    -K <mode>   Logging mode (pcap[default],ascii,none)

    -evilghost

    <jesler () sourcefire com <mailto:jesler () sourcefire com>> wrote:

    >> Well, I don't know anything about the flowbits problem you are
    talking
    >> about.
    >>
    >> But I did ask an email'ed questions to devel about the
    functionality of
    >> rawbytes since there may be some misunderstanding.
    >>
    >> But I wasn't provided any pcaps or anything of problems...

    >> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:25 PM, evilghost () packetmail net
    <mailto:evilghost () packetmail net> <
    >> evilghost () packetmail net <mailto:evilghost () packetmail net>> wrote:
    >>

    >>> It was effectively communicated to Joel Esler who forwarded it
    to SF
    >>> development.  Flowbits are borked too by the way.

    <mailto:evilghost () packetmail net>

    >>> Emerging

    >>> Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal
    Reports 2008
    >>> 30-Day
    >>> trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment
    - and focus