Snort mailing list archives

how can we alert on web visiting activity?

From: mary andrews <maryandrews22 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:40:58 -0500

Hello there, we have a testing.rules file with the following 3 lines

#testing.rules
alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"$TESTING rule$"; sid:1000001;)
alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"test eBay rule"; flow:established;
content:"ebay"; nocase; sid:1000002;rev:1;)
we put the rule as generic as we can, of course ebay is just an example.

ping any site produces the alert $TESTING rule$ on the dos screen snort has
been started.

But using Internet Explorer to go to ebay, does not produce any alert.
Our question is, what part of a rule triggers web visiting activity?

thanks,