Snort mailing list archives

Proxy Servers generating false positives

From: "Chan, Wilson" <wchan () honolulu gov>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:47:30 -1000

It seems that Snort is generating a lot of false positives for the web
traffic heading to our internal proxy servers. Instead of creating
thresholds/disabling sigs per alert does it make more sense to just use
a BPF to filter out port 8080 to our proxy servers? Is this standard
practice or will I lose too much on the detection realm? What am I
giving up? Thanks!

Wilson