Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort + barnyard2 + BASE

From: firnsy <firnsy () securixlive com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 06:53:22 +1030

Shenk, Jerry A wrote:
Well, that certainly clears up a question that I had about the two
entries but it's not fixing things.  Basically, the only difference is
the extentions of .log and .u2 - I changed them this morning.

No, there's more of a difference than just the file name.

Here's my output line from my snort.conf:
output log_unified2: filename snort.u2, limit 128

Here's a summary of my previous post for clarity.

Use:

output unified2: filename snort.u2, limit 128

_Not:_

output log_unified2: filename snort.u2, limit 128

The snort.u2.xxx files are being created in the /var/log/snort
directory.  There is also the plaintext alert file.  Both those files
are being updated.

And my input line in barnyard2.conf is:
input unified2

I'm starting barnyard2 with:
/usr/local/bin/barnyard2 -c /etc/snort/barnyard2.conf -d /var/log/snort
-f snort.u2 -w /etc/snort/barnyard.waldo

When I restart snort, it creates a new snort.u2.xxxx file.

I've tried additional outputs like just the syslog output:
Output alert_syslog:

Nothing I've done has gotten any output from barnyard2.

Again you're trying to use _alert_ plugins and only providing _log_ information in.