Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rules not triggering

From: Matt Olney <molney () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:08:23 -0400

Two things:

1)  Even though the load balancer may be handling "A" 3-way handshake
on the front end, a 3-way handshake still has to occur to the server
in the back.  A web server, for example, still needs to see an
established tcp connection on a listening port before it will reply.

2)  "private ip custom port" gets my attention, as most Snort rules
are port specific.  If your load balancer is passing web traffic to
port 2090 and you haven't modified your HTTP_PORTS variable then
you'll miss the traffic.  You might also want to ensure that your
HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET variables are set correctly for the backend
environment.

3)  The stream reassembly issue is something to think about, but most
likely this is not a concern.  The load balancer installations I've
seen pass a complete tcp session across to one server, so your back
end sensor should still see what it needs to see.

After all of that, I'd do a pcap on the snort sensor itself looking at
the traffic.  This should answer most of the questions you have.

Matt Olney