Snort mailing list archives

Rules not triggering

From: <Gregory.Brunn () compucom com>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 05:13:35 -0500

All,

I am currently running into a problem with a sensor that is behind a
load balancer not triggering on alerts that our sensor in front of load
balancer is triggering on.

I have been told by device owners that the load balancer does not alter
the traffic in anyway however I can not trust this information because
after doing a tcp dump the on both devices the amount of traffic that
the same crafted attack is doubled on the inside sensor.

Also I have checked using tcp dump output in hex that the content of
what I am is coming through.

Also this load balancer is trading the public ip to a private ip custom
port.

I have double checked our snort configuration I have found nothing that
might flag why this is happening.

I have double checked the rule and the specific rule and it has the
statement

flow:to_server,established;

My thought was that because the load balancer appears to be handling the
3 way handshake and passing the traffic back to the private ips the rule
would never trigger so I wrote a customer rule and removed this
condition however the could not get the new rule to trigger.

I wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem or is it possible
that the fact the load balancer is doubling the traffic messing up the
way snort reassembles packets.

Any suggestions or help are greatly appreciated as I have spent a lot of
time on the issue.