Snort mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump script

From: Leon Ward <seclists () rm-rf co uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:03:38 +0100

Hello.

I have limited storage available on the sensor that I run Snort on that
protects my live systems, but I still wanted more data available for
post-event detection analysis than what's contained in the event log.

The method I use is to keep a limited cache of network traffic via tcpdump's
ringbuffer mode, a few 100MB of pcap data. When Snort raises an alert, a
process automatically kicks off that extracts the session that caused the
alert from the ringbuffer and stores it for prosperity.

I find that this trade-off of storage vs traffic context works great for me.
I have a syn->fin pcap for every event i'm interested in without keeping
terabytes of traffic hanging around until I get round to  analysing an
event.

I have some working scripts that I could provide if anyone wants them, but I
would have to censor them a bit before they can be shared. Let me know.

-Leon

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Nathaniel Richmond <