Snort mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump script

From: Jason Brvenik <jasonb () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 19:28:31 -0400

You might want to check out daemonlogger instead. It is more
specifically designed for that purpose.

http://www.snort.org/users/roesch/Site/Daemonlogger/Daemonlogger.html

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Jefferson, Shawn
<Shawn.Jefferson () bcferries com> wrote:
Hi,

I wanted to run tcpdump to capture all traffic on my snort sensor, so that
if I want to go take a look at traffic based on snort alerts I could get
more context.  I’ve setup a couple of scripts to gzip the packet captures
and send them to a storage server.  My question is about starting tcpdump
itself.  I tried doing it in the same script that starts snort and barnyard,
but this didn’t seem to work and I think it’s due to the fact that tcpdump
needs to be run as root (?).

So, I’ve created a root cron job that runs every five minutes will start
tcpdump if it finds it not running (using “pidof tcpdump”).

Not being a linux guru, is this the right way to approach this problem?

Thanks,
Shawn