Snort mailing list archives

Re: v2.8.4 incorrect logging to MySQL

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:39:26 -0400

Loyal Moses:

Sourcefire is limited on man power as is any organization that has
limited supplies of time and money.

Sourcefire does not use the spo_database plugin AT ALL in our
commercial products because they impart unacceptable performance
overhead into the product.  We use the Unified2 logging infrastructure
and our own log spooling system in the commercial products.  The
spo_database code was developed and supported by external contributors
to the project back in the early 2000's who abandoned it and left it
for us and the community to maintain.

The biggest support item on the mailing list from the open source
users for many years now has been the database plugin because it's
complexity is so high.  To my mind it makes a lot of sense to reduce
the complexity of Snort configuration and improve the worst case
performance of Snort by removing any code that's a constant
maintenance headache and that doesn't relate to the core functionality
of network traffic inspection.  Less lines of code = less bugs = less
security issues = less code audit = faster time to release code.  In
the limited number of hours that we have to write code I'd rather
spend that time improving the detection capabilities and performance
of Snort than maintaining a zoo of output plugins.

If you've noticed, database connectivity isn't in the Snort 3.0
architecture (e.g. SnortSP Beta 3) at all, nor will it be in the
distribution tarball.  If someone wants to maintain an external patch
to the system that's fine but there's no reason to put it in the
distribution code base.  That's MY call and I think it's a good one
for the reasons I listed above.  Using an external data spooler like
Barnyard/Barnyard2/SnortUnified.pm is a better way because it
maximizes the performance of Snort while lowering its runtime
configuration and code complexity.  You have the additional step of
maintaining the spool directories but the complexity is moved out of
Snort which is a win in my opinion.

Jack Pepper:

I believe the latency between detection and spooling to a database
using the unified/Barnyard method is preferable to losing packets and
missing detections altogether using the direct-to-database method.  We
use Unified2 here at Sourcefire for our commercial devices.

Paul Schmehl:

Now that Barnyard2 is available and being actively maintained I would
consider Barnyard to be deprecated.  There is no active development
going on around Barnyard nor will there be unless someone can talk
Andrew into doing some work on it.  Given that the Barnyard2 group is
active and motivated I would favor that route.  Barnyard2 isn't
"officially supported" but I think it's the better route to take
ultimately.

Danny Paul:

I'd be interested to see your data around that, we haven't seen that
sort of thing here but we use a different database schema and spooling
infrastructure.

Marty