Snort mailing list archives

Re: Poor performance using snort 2.8.x in inline mode

From: JJ Cummings <cummingsj () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:36:53 -0700

2+2=5?

On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:06 AM, Matt Watchinski wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what number does your gut tell you, you can reach throughput wise?

Some other things to try.

send the output of the rule and preprocessor profiling to this list.
take cpu stats with top every second during the throughput testing and send it in. remove snort from the equation and see how fast ip_queue is in simple bridge mode. Do like 10 tests and take the average, send it in. run vmstat -i during the test every second or so, so we can see the interrupt rate

on the host os if it has a /proc/interrupts tail that during the test and post.
probably do this on the guest vm also.

shut down all the other hosts on the ESXi and see if performance improves.

Also when I mentioned perf profiling i mean these lines in your snort.conf

config profile_rules: print all, sort total_ticks
config profile_preprocs: print all, sort checks

Just incase you thought i meant perfmon.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM, carlopmart <carlopmart () gmail com> wrote: I have disabled sfportscan and results are the same ... I don't use perf profiling and all guests are supported OS (rhel5.x) and all they have vmware tools installed ...

Matt Watchinski wrote:
Some thoughts:

Are you using a Guest OS that supports vmware-tools ? If so are they installed ?

Do all the images running under ESXi have vmware-tools installed ?

Disable sfportscan
Disable perf_ profiling

Remove these compile options, they don't do anything for you.
--enable-inline-init-failopen - you don't have a failopen capable card --enable-memory-cleanup - This wouldn't help with performance
--enable-pthread - this is used with init-failopen

Cheers,
-matt