Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort multiple sensor configuration

From: "Joel Esler" <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:47:24 -0400

So are all the networks that talk to the internet going to be crossing your
sniffing interface that you have behind the firewall?

If so, then what is the sense in having the inside interface also watch
traffic going out to the internet.

Have your third interface set up as your HOME_NET = your internal network,
and your EXTERNAL_NET = $HOME_NET.

So basically you are watching network to network traffic.  Not Network to
internet, since you already have an interface to do that.

That way you aren't duplicating alerts.

Joel