Snort mailing list archives

Re: Performance and rule tuning

From: Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:34:28 -0500

On Dec 3, 2008, at 2:57 PM, Jefferson, Shawn wrote:

Speaking of the stats though... I noticed that with each increase in
the performance of my snort sensor, I'm recording more MBit/second.
Now it's up to around 150 Mb/s.  Is this number an accurate measure
of what's on the wire, or does it depend somewhat on the performance
of your sensor?

The number you are getting out of the perfmonitor preprocessor is the
amount of traffic *successfully* analyzed.  If you are dropping 0
packets at your feed device (tap/switch), and Snort is reporting 0
packet loss, then I'd say you are getting all of it.

One more question about rule tuning:

I am getting some false positives from the ftp pre-processor.  How
do I suppress these without disabling the pre-processor altogether?

Threshold and Suppression commands.  Take a look at the
README.threshold in the doc/ directory of your Snort tarball, also
take a look at the threshold.conf file in the etc/ directory of your
Snort tarball.  You will see many examples on how to configure
Threshold and Suppression, in order to tune your system.