Snort mailing list archives

Re: Performance and rule tuning

From: Matt Jonkman <jonkman () jonkmans com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:30:35 -0500

You have to be careful with any ruleset how much of it and which rules
you run, but moreso with the emerging threats rules. It's always a
balance of throughput vs tolerance of risk.

I'd not just kill all the ET rules, but look through and pick whats
important. The policy rules, much of the web client stuff, and the
web_sql_injection sets are going to be very high load. Use them only if
you have the capacity and need.

I'd personally not pass on the virus and malware sets, and the scan
rulesets. Very important sets and much lower load. They're worth
balancing into your sensors if possible.

Matt

Jefferson, Shawn wrote:
I've been running the mmaped pcap module with snort on both my sensors for the last two days, and noticed quite an
improvement, however I was still getting dropped packets.  I commented out all the Emerging Threats rules and this
eliminated any dropped packets with over 100 MB/s of sustained traffic (at least that is what snort stats is showing
me.)  Also, I noticed CPU usage went down considerably as well.  I guess I don't have enough horse power to run these
rules.

Speaking of the stats though... I noticed that with each increase in the performance of my snort sensor, I'm
recording more MBit/second.  Now it's up to around 150 Mb/s.  Is this number an accurate measure of what's on the
wire, or does it depend somewhat on the performance of your sensor?

One more question about rule tuning:

I am getting some false positives from the ftp pre-processor.  How do I suppress these without disabling the
pre-processor altogether?

Thanks!
Shawn