Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort generates alerts when I use rsync to download files

From: carlopmart <carlopmart () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:19:13 +0200

Please, any hints??

carlopmart wrote:
Thanks Matt,

 I have attached pcap file generated by snort. I can see this:

 01b0  42 bf df 2f 84 10 42 08  21 84 10 42 43 43 43 43   B../..B. !..BCCCC
01c0  43 43 43 43 43 43 43 43  43 43 43 43 43 43 43 43   CCCCCCCC CCCCCCCC
01d0  43 43 43 43 43 ee 1a 42  08 f9 77 f7 7b 7c a7 c7   CCCCC..B ..w.{|..

 That corresponds to shellcode.rules as a: "(msg:"SHELLCODE x86 inc ebx
NOOP"; content:"CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC"; classtype:shellcode-detect;
sid:1390; rev:6;)", but this is a .rpm file ....

Matt Olney wrote:
We'd need to see the data portion of the PCAP to give you a precise
answer.

In a happy world, one of the benign files you downloaded had a long
sequence of 0x43.  This sequence can be used as a NOP sled for
exploits that are a little 'mushy' on their targets.  It is possible
for this sequence to occur in the wild and it be nothing, but
generally if you get a shellcode alert, you need to look closely at
the payload and ensure it is what it should be.

In an unhappy world, that long sequence of 0x43 is a NOP sled, and
you're now a bot.

Matt

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:41 AM, carlopmart <carlopmart () gmail com