Snort mailing list archives

Re: (smtp) Attempted header name buffer overflow: xx chars before colon

From: Todd Wease <twease () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:28:27 -0400

Hi Ryan,

This should be fixed in 2.8.3.  For now, you can comment the
SMTP_HEADER_NAME_OVERFLOW rule in preproc.rules.  To utilize the
preproc.rules you need to compile Snort with
"--enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules" and uncomment "include
$PREPROC_RULE_PATH/preprocessor.rules" in snort.conf.

Todd

chris ryan wrote:
Hi,

we are running snort (2.8.2.1, latest subscribers rule set) in front of
an big email infrastructure (>10000 users).

I'm getting a lot of these alerts from the smtp preprocessor:
"(smtp) Attempted header name buffer overflow: xx chars before colon",
where xx is (65 .. 255).

I found an older post on the list:

----

Todd Wease