Snort mailing list archives

Re: mysql to pcap?

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:28:59 -0400

Dirk Geschke wrote:
Hi Tim,

I'm viewing snort events through a third-party tool that is fetching
the data from the mysql database snort is logging to.  I want to be
able to select a particular event in the third-party tool and view it
in wireshark, so that I can subject the payload to wireshark's
protocol parsers.

[...]

But someone must have done this already.  Right?  :)

you can not do this with the standard database scheme, there are
some parameters, especially the headers, missing.

What is missing? You should be able to take the binary data and wrap a
pcap header on it and all should be well.

Details please.

I extended the database scheme to allow the storage of the missing
parts so that you can rebuild the pcap file. All this is part of
FLoP, maybe you should take a look at it:

   http://www.geschke-online.de/FLoP/

Best regards

Dirk