Snort mailing list archives

Re: Logging Reassembled Packets

From: John Curry <john.curry () metre net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 03:15:35 -0500

Hello Kam,

SANCP provides ICMP and UDP session logging.  Version 1.6.1 is stable.
Link:   http://metre.net/sancp.html

Regards,

-John Curry

Kamran Shafi wrote:
Thank you all for your kind replies, I am overwhelmed.

It is bit disappointing that the reassembled sessions can not be
logged by Snort, afterall Snort CAN also work as a packet logger and
log in pcap format, then why is it that there is no option to log the
re-built packets - a functionality that Snort implements.
BTW, I just wanted to have a summary record of each session (initiated
with a 3WHS and terminated by a 4WHS) similar to the Snort's summary
log packet for portscans - I am not sure how tcpdump or other software
mentioned in this thread can do that. It looks like I will have to
write one myself. In addition I also wanted to track UDP and ICMP
sessions - any ideas on how to do that?

All this exercise to build a useful dataset for evaluating my little
supervised learning algorithm aimed at intrusion detection - Ah!!!

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Will Metcalf