Snort mailing list archives

Undestanding "OVERSIZE CHUNK ENCODING" alerts

From: Julio Cesar Gazquez <jgazque0 () rosario gov ar>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:40:19 -0300

Hello list.

I'm trying to reduce my false positives, I already silenced a few, however I'm
trying to understand why an alert is triggered, and not just shut them up
blindly, (e.g. I think is ok if that robots.txt is accesed from address
blocks owned by well known search engines).

Now I'm facing http preprocessor's "OVERSIZE CHUNK ENCODING" alerts. While I'm
not sure, I guess that requests including large hex values could trigger
this, even if there is no chunk encoding at all. So requests to our website
including session IDs in the GET request will produce a lot of false
positives in our IDS. I am right, or I should look somewhere else?

Thanks in advance.

--
Julio César Gázquez
Seguridad Informática -- Int. 736