Snort mailing list archives

Re: Taking Down Wifi

From: Jason Brvenik <jasonb () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:12:37 -0400

It is an Apple thing. If you put the interface into passive mode with
any tool, EG: wireshark or tcpdump, the same thing will happen.

Quantum Scientific wrote:
Running HenWen on a Macbook Pro 2.16 with Airport card associated
with a Belkin pre-N router.

When I start the NIDS, I can't transfer data at high speed more than
15 seconds before the interface goes down.  The menubar icon goes
gray because the Airport has disconnected from the router.  I have to
turn off the Airport and turn it back on again for it to re-associate.

When I turn off the NIDS I can transfer data without the interface
going down.

Why would this be happening?

I tried compiling Snort and running it from the command-line, but it
just took down my connection every time, before I could do anything.