Snort mailing list archives

Installation - Snort/MySQL/Apache all on one box vs dedicated MySQL/Apache server

From: "Humes, David G." <David.Humes () jhuapl edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:00:25 -0400

I was wondering if anyone could discuss their experience and pros and
cons of setting up Snort with everything all on the same box, as
described in Patrick Harper's guides, vs using a separate server for the
database and http server.  On the surface, it would seem to make sense
to offload the database and analysis functions to a dedicated system so
the sensors are not burdened with running the database and  http server.
Plus analyst activity can place a load on the system when dealing with
large numbers of events.  But, then the database server becomes a single
point of failure for the remote sensors.  So, I would have to have some
way to rapidly recover a failed database server such as running it from
a VM that I could push to another machine, hot spare, etc.  Are there
significant performance gains to be realized by offloading the database,
web server, and analyst activity to a dedicated server?  Are there
technical issues with making this work?

Thanks.

Dave Humes
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Telecommunications Group (ITC)
david.humes () jhuapl edu
443-778-6651