Snort mailing list archives

Re: Log HTTP(S) URLs

From: Manu <manu () yms ath cx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:33:18 +0100

Hi Jason,

a search for terminating proxy brought up the fact that since version 2.5 squid is capable of proxying transparent
https connections.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/CompleteFaq#head-593dae4b6b740816917a6cc2ce5854d3d43624ee

I will give it a try.
Thanks for your answers.

Cheers,
Manuel

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:13:07 +1300, Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz> wrote:
Manu wrote:
Mark,

thanks a lot for your answer. Well, I don't think that the effort would
justify the result.

So maybe I will try some sort of double transparent proxy (one for port
80 and the other for port 443) or something else.

FYI you can do transparent proxies for HTTP - but not HTTPS. That would
be called a "man-in-the-middle" attack, and SSL by design resists such
fiddling.

If your intent is to "know" what URLs your internal staff are
downloading from HTTPS servers, then I think you won't find an easy
answer. Only a terminating proxy will achieve what you want - and then
that's dependent on how the client is configured.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417