Snort mailing list archives

Re: rules downloads and

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:16:35 -0500

--On Tuesday, September 19, 2006 06:29:55 -0700 SN ORT <snort_on_acid () yahoo com> wrote:

I tell ya personally I wouldn't be relying on anything
too heavily when it involves FREE software/services. I
would always expect the worse to happen and be
prepared for it. Snort can drop the product at the
drop of a hat and wouldn't be any worse off for it. I
bet they've been planning for years as to how they're
going to do just that. So far, it looks like a very
slow and gradual move from free software to paid.

I leave the real protections of our networks to
devices and services we pay for.

I thought of all sorts of nasty retorts, but I'll refrain from insulting you and simply say, you couldn't possibly be more wrong. And I say this as someone who knows Marty Roesch as well as his philosophy personally and uses both the free snort product *and* the commercial RNA product.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/