Snort mailing list archives

Re: GIG IDS

From: Matt Jonkman <mjonkman () infotex com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:51:07 -0400

I was just putting this story up at bleeding snort:

http://www.bleedingsnort.com/article.php?story=20060912082537189

Sensory networks has a hardware acceleration card that may be of
particular interest. I'm looking into using it myself :)

Matt

Michael Scheidell wrote:
you may need a commercial system to keep up, or at least one box per
connection.
If you have a lot of 'small' < 64 byte packets, you might forget the
pizza box.
(run ntop on a sniffer link for a week and see)

The backplane on most 'pizza bozes' is 3.2Gbs max., and two
bidirectional 1GB pipes would be, well, more than the available
backplane bandwidth.