Snort mailing list archives

Re: GIG IDS

From: "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell () secnap net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:30:06 -0400

you may need a commercial system to keep up, or at least one box per
connection.
If you have a lot of 'small' < 64 byte packets, you might forget the
pizza box.
(run ntop on a sniffer link for a week and see)

The backplane on most 'pizza bozes' is 3.2Gbs max., and two
bidirectional 1GB pipes would be, well, more than the available
backplane bandwidth.